BikeToAustralia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Donate through Paypal
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» From home near Boston to Phoenix
My Journey - July 2011 EmptyFri Jul 04, 2014 11:36 am by ChasingSanity

» Carthage Press 2014 July 1 with Rebecca Haines
My Journey - July 2011 EmptyFri Jul 04, 2014 8:58 am by ChasingSanity

» My Journey - June 2012
My Journey - July 2011 EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 2:45 pm by ChasingSanity

» My Journey - April 2012
My Journey - July 2011 EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 2:04 am by ChasingSanity

» My Journey - March 2012 (United Kingdom)
My Journey - July 2011 EmptySun Apr 01, 2012 5:53 am by ChasingSanity

» A REAL space catapult in my lifetime?!
My Journey - July 2011 EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 5:48 pm by ChasingSanity

» Prose and poetry
My Journey - July 2011 EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 8:59 am by ChasingSanity

» My Journey - February 2012
My Journey - July 2011 EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 8:57 am by ChasingSanity

» My Journey - January 2012
My Journey - July 2011 EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 9:27 am by ChasingSanity

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

My Journey - July 2011

3 posters

Go down

My Journey - July 2011 Empty My Journey - July 2011

Post  ChasingSanity Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:34 am

Saturday, Joly 2nd, 2011
Rode towards Provincetown, MA. Everybody said that was a nice place to visit. Sent CouchSurfing requests out. Got a guy that can meet for coffee. But, have not heard from him yet. I am about to head out of town, oh well.

I was trying to find the bicycle path to Provincetown and stopped at the Cape Cod Brewery to ask for directions. It sounded like a lot more fun to ask there than the Sears store next door. They gave me a free sample of beer in a medicine cup, that's the tiniest bit of a beer sample I've had so far! Anyways, they sell bread made with their spent brewers yeast, made by a local bakery. They gave me directions to the bakery, along my route. Underground Bakery is a typical, awesome bakery with specialty breads and pastries. I love bakeries. They got good coffee too. They are in the basement of a house turned into a store front; several stores instead of one big house. Ian, the co-owner (his wife or girlfriend is the other owner, did not get to meet her), was good people to meet.

I went outside and tried ot tighten my bike seat, it fell off! The bolt holding the eseat on broke in half. I went back inside the bakery. Ian had some spare parts, nuts and bolts that I used to make it possible to ride to a bike shop. He told me about his friend, Josh, owner of Little Capistrano Bike Shop a few miles away. I followed directions there but got to another bike shop first. Barbera's Bike Shop. I met Travis, the bike mechanic there. He had the bolt. He gave me a V brake lever to match the one I had as backup for my failing brakes.

I continued on to meet Josh. It was more than 'a few' miles to Eastham. But, I got there. I met everybody in Josh's family EXCEPT Josh. He was gone for the day. I got there too late. Little Capistrano's is the family business, 5 generations of business! Melanie, Josh's mom, runs the paperwork, she used to run banks, happier running the shop. Josh and... are mechanics. Mark is Melanie's husband, he is a culinary school teacher (fabulous cook) and he runs their tiny rental store further down the bith path.

They offered to let me stay the night, I accepted. Good thing too, the guy in Provincetown was up for a cup of coffee, not a couch for me to sleep on. I'lll stop by Little Capistrano's on the way back through to Boston.

While writing this Trevor came up and introduced himself to me. He has been driving all over the USA on vegetable oil. Interesting guy is my first impression.
ChasingSanity
ChasingSanity
Admin

http://biketoaustralia.roflforum.net

Back to top Go down

My Journey - July 2011 Empty Re: My Journey - July 2011

Post  gsilvia1997 Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:08 am

I truly believed that, in this time of technology, the globe had been explored; the land had no more adventures to give, like a farm that had run out of nutrients, where no crops will grow. But speaking with Ary has shown me that, the world may be mapped out and the land set, but the course is set by you alone, and the trip is the destination. You are the navigator of your life, and are restricted only by the limitations of your mind. This is a once in a lifetime experience. I have no doubt he will get to Australia, or wherever the moment takes him.

gsilvia1997

Back to top Go down

My Journey - July 2011 Empty Appreciation for the Journey

Post  lesliegrn Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:26 pm

Ari; I saw you peddling your bike down the rode and when I passed I saw the sign on your back. "Bike2Australia". I took one look at the bike and new that you were no ordinary man. I began to talk to my two children and I could not resist the urge to stop. My curiosity got the better of me and I found myself pulling my car over. I waited for you to catch up to me and then I shouted hey; I did not know what else to say. What do you say to a man on a peddle bike, an ordinary bike, custom built for him? What do you say to a man who managed to place so many items on one bike; I believe you said the total weight was 230 lbs? When you do not meet anyone along the way, you manage to peddle an average of 50 miles a day; who does this? You have been on the road for 22 months and have been to so many places, met so many faces. There was a reason you met mine. We spoke and my children were leary and soon after speaking to you I could see that they new it was ok. My thought after seeing you up close, after looking this bike over and after smelling your original odor Smile was to give you some money and be on my way. After all I am a conventional woman, or so I try, and had many errands to run with my kids. So much to do. I found myself, jealous of this man who smelled and had only a bike. He seemed to be happy. He was 50 years old and in amazing shape. I could see the outline of his body through the special clothing he wears to keep himself dry and able to breathe while on his trek. I then found myself more curious and wanting to know more. I then heard myself inviting him to my home and asking him if he needed any supplies. I wanted to be a part of his journey somehow. I wanted to feel what he felt; free. I heard my conscious saying "are you crazy, bringing a stranger home". "trusting a man who could be a killer, a rapist and find myself another statistic on the news". I did not waiver and found myself having him follow me home like I had just found an abandoned dog and he was too cute to leave. When we got to my home he cared about nothing, he did not look over my yard, nor comment on the pool or the flowers; nothing. He just wanted a shower. He came down and then I asked if he was hungry. He said always. I began to do what I love and to cook for someone who really appreciates food. I did not have much in the house as one of the errands I was to perform that day was the food shopping. I managed to gather enough to make him happy and something so familiar about him kept haunting me. He did remind me of my older brother. My brother was a world traveler. Not happy like this man. Not content. Ari, what do you have and what did you share with me and others? I proceeded to ask you about your life and by 1:00 I felt like i have known you forever. You were a product right out of the 60's, but here today in the year 2011. A fond memory of a time that was simple. No greed, no hate, no crime like today and people were allowed to be free and love. (maybe too much?) We did your laundry, you helped the boys and I build all the tents and pack them up for their trip to Fort Ticonderoga. We went swimming afterward because it was so hot. Then I cooked for you one last time before you left. I did not want you to go; but I knew I could not allow you to stay. I wanted to. I let you ride off and my son Robert and I watched you until you were out of sight. Waving and yelling good bye. I thought that would be the last I saw of you. I called you later that night from my meeting just to be sure you found camp and a safe place. You said you were fine and that i would speak to you soon. You would continue your journey in the morning. I smiled. I wanted to do so much more for you than I had. But what; what did you need? I kept asking all day and you kept saying you were fine, did not need anything. I think I felt as though you needed more but you were truly fine. It was I that needed. I cried that day when you spoke of your mom and last time you saw her. She is still alive and with the help of your ex wife getting the information she needs to keep track of you and know you are well. You cried while speaking and this touched me so. So many emotions in such a short time. You touched my heart and made me look even closer at myself and what is important. I am so much better for it. I truly believe that you were sent to me from above and when you left you gave me a hug that sent a warm, safe feeling through my body and I knew I would be ok. Were you mortal? When I feel bad about things happening in my life (and there is a lot) or I am not grateful for what I have, I know I will always remember you Ari. I hope our paths continue to cross and that I always know you are safe.

I woke up this morning and began my routine of preparing for a hearing with unemployment. I spent the morning concetrating and trying to piece together my approach to this hearing and the documentation copied and in order; my mind drifting back and forth to Ari. I then set out to do my shopping, timing everything just to the minute beginning to stress out because I was falling behind. While driving to the supermarket decided to call him to be sure he was well on his way. He answered and I said where are you? He said in the happiest of voices I am at Kohls, TJ Max Home Goods and BJ's. I laughed as I was just turning into BJ's. Our paths had crossed again. I smiled as I saw him pull up. He asked if he could come shopping with me as he wanted to pick up some things. I said sure. While shopping I caught many people looking at him and then at me and then back at him. One of the ladies behind the counter was a bit rude actually when he asked about buying a cup of coffee and wanting to use his own cup. I dont think he even noticed. We shopped and he helped me pick out all of the items I needed. I had to be fast as i was under a time constraint. This was not good because we both liked to talk and focusing on the shopping was not an easy task. It was even harder when it was done and I had to leave him again. I quickly gave him a peck on the lips and he left and then I got out of the car to give him a hug. I had to. This could be the last time I see this man who is headed for Australia.

I went to my hearing and on my way home at 4:45 called my roommate and began to drone on about my hearing and how worried I was, how will I pay my mortgage, where will I live; then my roommate and friend said, guess who i saw a little while ago, who, your friend, Ari. He was in downtown Plymouth at rush hour so I guess he decided to stay one more day. I smiled and funny I thought of looking for him. I convinced myself that this is crazy and went about my night with my kids at the youth group I volunteer with.

Ari, I hope you are well and I want to hear all about your trip, when you can. All I can say is Thank You! God Speed and Be Safe! xox

lesliegrn

Back to top Go down

Post  ChasingSanity Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:43 am

First; Wow, Leslie. I wish... I wish healthy, lasting ways to quench our thirst for life.

Second, my replacement laptop is in the mail. It is supposed to arrive today. TODAY! I am not anxious, I am not eager, nor am I driving myself crazy trying to squeeze that laptop out of the mail by sheer force of will. I am not, not, not!

I met so many people since I lost my laptop... Too many to remember what he said she said. I am in Salem, MA waiting for my laptop to arrive.

I rode from Wood's Hole, MA to Provincetown, MA to Boston and now Salem. Soon Gloucester and the other ports in Maine. I pray for a miracle sail boat trip to Europe out of Maine but people tell me the sail boats leave Fort Lauderdale, FL for Bermuda in April. I am planning to be there in February just to be sure. AND, I'll contact people in Fort Lauderdale and ask them when the sail boats start coming in on their way to Bermuda.
ChasingSanity
ChasingSanity
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ChasingSanity Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:32 pm

Finally received my replacement netbook from Carole.Took hours configuring Windows, downloading software and generally setting up housekeeping. That journey has just begun. Smile
ChasingSanity
ChasingSanity
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down